18 September 2010

I love people

I really do love people.....but hard as I may try, there are some people in this world whom I never will truly understand. Anyone who knows me very well would know that I want to work with people dealing with mental health issues, and help them to improve their lives, live the lives they deserve to live, instead of living under the haze of a mental illness.

I cannot, however, understand a person turning their lives upside-down because they are single instead of in a relationship, nor do I understand people who devalue others in order to make themselves feel better. I have seen a lot of things in my life, and a lot of people going through relationship troubles, and it's as if without a relationship, they feel like life is worthless. What about the large number of people that live their entire lives single? I am a person that lives a single life, not even knowing what it feels like to be in a relationship, to mean the world to anyone. Does that make me worthless too?

Then, there are the people who are truly psychopathic, and believe that hurting someone is the means to equality. I read a heavily sickening blog tonight that was, unfortunately, very real. There are sadly people in this world who follow the same line of thinking, and I can't help but wonder how they make it in life. I don't necessarily condone putting everyone with convoluted thinking in an asylum for all of eternity, but there are some people that need to learn human decency. Sometimes, these are the very same people who are sucked into a vortex that makes them believe that life is worth nothing unless you have a partner/mate. It's very disturbing. The person of whom I speak supported rape as a means of equality. This is in no way proper or humane. It's rather extreme, and I had never actually seen anyone express this opinion before, so it was also rather shocking. What could be so goshforsaken awful that their life must come to such extremes?

Anyway, enough of that. I really want to make people think though. I had a really, really good topic in mind last night, but all this thinking on policy and practice and research has got my head tied up in knots. With all these words on the history of mental health and social welfare, and welfare reform, and goodness knows what else, I can't wrap my mind around anything too complex now. Besides, it's after 02.30 and I'm exhausted from a long week. Maybe I'll look up some topics to write about in between these grueling papers. Until then, auf weidersehen

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...