02 November 2011

Story of a Girl

Today I'm jumping back in with another Write on Wednesday prompt, after my newscast-type post. This is the prompt:

Write On Wednesdays Exercise 22 Select a piece of music that reflects the mood of writing you'd like to aim for. Press play. Start free writing. Write the first words that come into your head. When the music's over, so is the writing. I'd recommend finding out how long the song is before you start the exercise. You may feel cheated in your writing time if you pick a song by The Ramones. Of course, if you feel like writing a short, punky piece by all means, go for it!


Appropriately, I have chosen "Story of a Girl" by Nine Days. Something about this song has always struck me. Somehow, some days, I feel like this girl. In high school, while I was with the colorguard/marching band, I had to do a solo routine, and this was the song I chose. I've always had it on my mP3, and it never leaves my playlist. It's my ringtone on my phone. Something told me, after scrolling through all my songs, to choose this one. Of all the songs, I don't know why this one stands out so much that I do so much with it, but I went ahead and chose it for this piece. Here goes:

There's a girl standing alone. She tries so hard to fit in, but she knows she never will. Waking up every day with hope, she finds herself facing disappointment at the end of the day, knowing she didn't get the expected outcome. She feels like a little bit of an outcast, but she doesn't know how beautiful and wonderful she really is. She cries herself to sleep at night, wondering if things will ever really change, if things will always be the same, but she's loved, and her life has a destiny.

Every day is different, and there is a light that is hard to see from her vantage point. She hides because she doesn't know what's out there. She's been hurt, and she's been disappointed. She's got more going for her than she knows though. Her beauty, talent, and personality far outweigh all the things she sees that are wrong with her life. She's never really seen all the people rooting for her in the background, and though she seems to always have a downtrodden appearance, she has a wonderful smile. Hidden behind that smile is the potential to change the world, the potential to do wonderful things.

She just needs to realize that potential. She can change the world. She can knock people off the feet with her words, or even with just a smile. She's brilliant, and she has passion that she hasn't openly expressed. You can tell she has this potential, this light, all these abilities, by the way she glows, the way she shines when she smiles. She doesn't always exude confidence, but it is there, buried deep. This girl needs to believe in herself.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Kerry said...

This is a great post. Perhaps you feel a connection with this song so much because you identify with the girl you have written about. Is that part of your story? Either way, it's nice writing; I like it.

♥α§ђ£ε¥™♥ said...

Thanks. I'm not sure if that's why...maybe. It's been a favorite of mine for years now

Anonymous said...

That song has always resonated with me. Sometimes I've felt like that girl and I love how you've developed her story in this post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...