11 July 2011

Sixty-seventh Street

Life is a little bit different for everyone. Most of us agree that life sucks at one time or another. We've all heard the "life sucks, then you die" quote about a billion times. I like this one better, because it seems more parallel to my life. Not because I've had cancer or anything like that, but because I have pretty crappy luck compared to most people I know.

I mean, I came back from "vacation" to a room that had been flooded from the hot water heater flooding the house; I was the only one that sustained any real property damage. I got fired from my internship the day we got back. I'm short on medication because the insurance company wouldn't approve it before we left, so I had to wait until we got back....but my car was in the shop for an oil change and some funny noises, and my pharmacy is 30 miles away. Not that any (of the same price echelon) are closer. So I have to wait til tomorrow. My field instructor at the time, the one that fired me, wanted me to see a therapist, who is also quite far away. I was not about to ask for favors. I just wanted to go home and climb under a blanket.

So, it's not "life sucks, then you die." No, it goes much further than that (except I've never had cancer or been married....ok, my hardships are different, but the precedent is similar)


“Most people think life sucks, and then you die. Not me. I beg to differ. I think life sucks, then you get cancer, then your dog dies, your wife leaves you, the cancer goes into remission, you get a new dog, you get remarried, you owe ten million dollars in medical bills but you work hard for thirty-five years and you pay it back and then -- one day -- you have a massive stroke, your whole right side is paralyzed, you have to limp along the streets and speak out of the left side of your mouth and drool but you go into rehabilitation and regain the power to walk and the power to talk and then -- one day -- you step off a curb at Sixty-seventh Street, and BANG you get hit by a city bus and then you die. Maybe.”



-Dennis Leary

So there's a thought for you to chew on today. I'm not saying by any means that my life is awful and that nobody else has it worse, because there are plenty out there that have it worse, but right now, I think I need to complain. Things aren't exactly going smoothly, you know? Perhaps my "cancer" will go into remission soon, but I'm not taking any bets. I don't really want a new dog, and I don't want to get remarried. I'd pay the medical bills if I could get a decent job, or even get a job in the first place.

I need to watch out for those curbs, too. I've stepped off a curb and into the street, only to fall flat on the face, and not catch myself until after the light turned green. Then I could have been roadkill. Ouch. Let's just hope things get better *at least temporarily* from here. After all, this guy said things got at least a bit better for a while. Let's hope that happens, k? My carpet will turn out ok, I'll find another great internship, I'll do well in my classes, finish in August, and we can pretend none of this ever happened. Yea, that'll be good. Yes? I think so.

Deuces, yo.

Photobucket

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...