24 November 2011

Thanksgiving Holiday

Work has been keeping me excruciatingly busy this month, and when I'm not working, I'm so tired I don't feel much like writing.

Today, though, is Thanksgiving in America. Today is the day that most places traditionally shut down so that Americans can spend time with their immediate and sometimes extended families, stuff themselves with turkey and other filling foods, talk and mingle, and take time away from work to relax. We take time to appreciate the things we are thankful for, and talk about them.

Of course, more and more, Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving and a major shopping day for the holidays, where retailers mark prices down steeply, is beginning to seep into the day, with retailers beginning to open earlier, sometimes on Thanksgiving day....but for now, for the most part, it still is a national holiday, and those who do work on the holiday earn holiday pay for it.

Today, we are at my grandparents' house, with my father's parents, his brothers and sisters, and their families. We usually have Thanksgiving lunch, and a part of that is also celebrating November birthdays, one of which is my own, next week.

This year, I've chosen a few things to be thankful for- my family, graduating from university and the opportunity to earn my license, Shawn (my boyfriend- I never thought I'd have one), the ability to have the things that I have, the job that I've obtained this year in the interim while waiting for my licensure, a place to live, my everyday luxuries, my sister, the insights I've obtained from my experiences, my readers and the success I've had from my blog, my online friends, and the life I've been able to have this year. It may not have been the best year....actually, it's been a hell of a year, throwing me challenge after challenge, and still throwing me challenges....but there are still things to appreciate.

I think that's kind of what it's all about. Being able to be thankful for all that you do have, even if times are hard, even if life is throwing you challenges left and right. Work has put me through the wringer, and I have been feeling the difference physically. I've been stressed and pushed hard. I've been studying. I've lost a lot of things I'm used to having. I'm still pulling through, and still finding things to be thankful for.

And there really is, even during the hardest of times, so much to be thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving from America



Photobucket

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the message in this post. No matter what we face in life there are things to be thankful for. I am from Jamaica but I know how special Thanksgiving is in the U.S.A. and I am happy that you are having good times. Have yourself a HAPPY BIRTHDAY next week and I wish you continued success.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...