24 November 2010

Appreciating obstacles

Of course, with Thanksgiving tomorrow, I've got the obligation to focus on all that I am thankful for, even though I (as well as everyone else) should keep these things in our memory all year, not just the requisite 4th Thursday in November. Therefore, while today is a special post highlighting the things I'm thankful for, I just want to say that it's not just today that I'm thankful for these things, but EVERY day.

For one, I'm thankful for my family. Without them, I wouldn't have been able to go to college, much less proclaim that I'm graduating in less than a year. I can't believe how time has flown by. Seeing as I don't have a job, they've helped tremendously with my education, and I feel a strong obligation to pay them back for it. All of it.

I'm thankful for the things, yes, I'm thankful for material things, because I am able to have them. It's not that I'm greedy, just thankful that I'm able to live comfortably, and I wish that everyone were able to experience the same comfort in their lives.

Now comes one of the things that a lot of people might think it's strange to be thankful for. I am thankful for all the obstacles that have been placed before me, and all the things that have held me back or made my life a living hell. I know that must sound strange, so let me explain.

Were it not for these troubles and obstacles along the way, I wouldn't be where I am today, and I wouldn't have the knowledge and skills that I've acquired through my experiences. These are some of the things that I have been told will make me a better social worker. My desire in life is to improve the quality of life of the people with whom I come into contact, and what better field than social work to achieve this goal?

However, had it not been for the therapy I've been through, or all the other junk, I would only have an outsider's perspective. Now that I've been through a list of things that is longer than the Great Wall of China, I can more easily relate to future clients, instead of just spouting off what I read in books. It's much easier to discuss difficulties with someone who knows what it's like to be where you are- another thing I've learnt through experience. It's hard to explain the flavor of bubble gum to someone who's never tried it. It's hard to say you understand something when you've only read about it. For people who have been through assault, or stalking, or depression, or mood swings, or substance use, or financial issues, or those who have trouble getting through work or school, or those having a hard time becoming self-sufficient, or those dealing with a difficult time from their family, or being ashamed about what's happened to them, or unable to find housing, or having trouble finding healthcare, among other things, I can offer not only advice, but experience, which isn't something just any person can do.

Thus, with all this in mind, I am very, very thankful for all that I've been through, no matter how dreadful it is, because it makes me a better and more helpful person, and I feel more trustworthy, knowledgable, and respected as well as respectful. I am tolerant of those different from me, and I think that everyone should be treated fairly. Moreover, I love people, and all that they've done, positive or negative, that enriches my life.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...