06 August 2011

30 days- Life lessons

OK, so maybe I'm a little late in jumping on the bandwagon, but usually I am when it comes to these things. Usually, I find out when I see someone I follow participating, then I hunt down the person who is posting the prompts, and follow them. This time, it is 30 Days About Me, by A Daily Dose of Toni (I have a cousin named Toni :) lol)

So, I caught on when we got to day 5, but I didn't get a chance to post it. I'm gonna make up for lost time, and go back and post all of them (short and sweet, of course, to make it simple) up until today. August 1st doesn't have a prompt, so August 2nd is Day 1. Then I'll be caught up with the challenge. So, here goes. (I'll start with day 5, since it's most pertinent, then I'll do the backlog).

Day 5: Yay, I've made it to today, August 6 (remember, August 1 didn't have a prompt): Favourite Quote- It's a kind of long Dennis Leary quote that I included in one of my recent posts.

“Most people think life sucks, and then you die. Not me. I beg to differ. I think life sucks, then you get cancer, then your dog dies, your wife leaves you, the cancer goes into remission, you get a new dog, you get remarried, you owe ten million dollars in medical bills but you work hard for thirty-five years and you pay it back and then -- one day -- you have a massive stroke, your whole right side is paralyzed, you have to limp along the streets and speak out of the left side of your mouth and drool but you go into rehabilitation and regain the power to walk and the power to talk and then -- one day -- you step off a curb at Sixty-seventh Street, and BANG you get hit by a city bus and then you die. Maybe.”
Now, some might say "how pessimistic!!" but it's real life we're talking about. Things happen, good and bad. Just when you think you're up, another obstacle comes along. That's how life works. Some have it worse than others. At the time I picked the quote, I was in one of those massive stroke, left side paralyzed, limping the streets kind of modes. Now I'm regaining the power to walk and talk. I like it because it really brings out the fact that we all stumble and fall and make mistakes, but we get back up, and that's part of life. Sometimes, life does suck, but then it gets better, only to get worse, only to get better again.

You never know what's coming next, and you never know when that bus will hit. Yes, you'll die eventually, perhaps by that city bus, but you never know when or where. It's uncertainty. It's the ups and downs of life. You will face obstacles. Things will be bad at one point or another. Life is not beautiful and perfect 100% of the time. This is not me being pessimistic, but realistic.

Second quote: "Never doubt that a small group of people can change the world; indeed, it is the only thing that ever has" -Margaret Mead

I see that one in the social work building every time I take the stairs on the one end of the building. Truly, every change starts with a small group of people. In our case, a small group of social workers. Together, we, as students and as licensed workers work to advocate for those who can't advocate for themselves, we go to bat for anyone and everyone that needs assistance, we will stand up for those who need a step up to get to a level playing field. An idea must start somewhere. From there, it must grow before it can change the world. No world change has just suddenly happened because of a mass global epiphany. No, it's always started with a small group of people

Last quote: "An expert in something was always at one time a beginner" -Source unknown

How true is that? Nobody walks out of their mother knowing how to walk and talk. Nobody starts college with the ability to counsel people, or to write a (powerful and effective) thesis. Nobody walks into kindergarten knowing calculus (unless they're some sort of child prodigy). People have to start somewhere. An expert had to learn to be that expert from somewhere. It didn't just fall out of the sky and hit them on the head, and it wasn't just genetically built into them. They began working on it, and they practiced, and they learnt, and they grew, and then they became an expert.
_________________________________________________________________

Day 1: Favourite song- I hate playing favourites, but currently, Hot Chelle Rae's "Tonight, Tonight" is my fave. It's like...look, I've had a lot of problems, I don't know if I'm gonna do really well, but I'm gonna party hard and do the best I can, even if I have to fake it. There are other older favourites, like "Scars" by Papa Roach, because it shows raw emotion, and the line "my weakness is that I care too much" (and boy, do I care too much). There's also the All American Rejects "Move Along" with the lyrics "When all you've got to keep is strong, move along, move along like I know ya do, and even when your hope is gone move along, move along just to make it through"....heck, I know that sometimes, when hope is gone, that's hard to do. So many songs have meaningful parts that I really could write a whole post on song lyrics, and maybe one day I will. That's something to keep in mind.

Day 2: Favourite movie- do I have to pick one? I love humourous movies, I love scary movies, my favourite I guess, are ones that make you think. The most recent I liked were Insidious and Inception. I guess maybe they need to start with an I? Naw, just kidding about the last part. I'm not much of a movie buff, and I really hate picking favourites, but when it comes to movies, I either like or hate it.

Day 3: Favourite television show- hands down, Criminal Minds. I have a secret (not so much secret anymore) crush on Reid. He is so super intelligent, and up until the recent seasons, had the most awesome hair. He's everything I want. OK, after Criminal Minds comes The Big Bang Theory. Uh, more geeky people. LOL. I guess I'm attracted to them. I also like Law and Order SVU (more intelligent minds), and other shows where there are smart people. Definitely.

Day 4: Favourite Book- Dang, what's with all this favourite stuff? If I had to pick...it would be something Jodi Picoult...or "Elsewhere"....or "Her Lovely Bones"....or "Sharp Objects...or "The Time Traveller's Wife"....or "The Book Thief"...or I like too many books, lmao. I was a born reader. I've always been an avid reader, I devour books like they're food. They never last more than a day or two before I've read them cover to cover unless they're really bad writing.

And that's all I have for today (and it's a lot).

Deuces,

Photobucket

1 comment:

Becca said...

I love the expert quote. It makes me feel better about the things I am a beginner in. And...Tonight Tonight was my pick for favorite song also! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...